I rarely make fruit cakes, but the holiday season got me in the mood for baking one.
I decided to try making eggless fruit cake and was actually pleased with the results – It was very scrumptious and soft.
This fruit cake recipe is quite easy to prepare, there are no eggs, and I also substituted margarine for oil. I eliminated the whole creaming process in cake making, and using oil instead of margarine made the cakes less dense.
I just poured the oil on soaked fruits, followed by the dry ingredients, mixed the two, and it was ready for baking.
I didn’t use alcohol, and I soaked the fruits in orange juice. You may soak also soak them in apple juice or non- alcoholic drinks like Pure Heaven. I just soaked the fruits for a short period, soaking for 48 hours or at least overnight will allow the fruits to be soft as long as they are refrigerated.
Eggless Fruit Cake Recipe
- 225g / 1 ¾ cups flour
- 180g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80ml / ¼ cup oil
- 120ml / ½ cup water /milk
- ¼ cup chopped almond /walnuts
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1tsp ginger powder
- 1tsp mixed spices
- 225g raisins
- 75g / 1/3 glace cherries
- 50g / ¼ mixed peel
- almond/walnuts cup apple juice/orange juice.
- Soak overnight raisins, cherries and mixed peel in apple juice /orange juice.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Add brown sugar, oil in the soaked fruit mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the fruit mixture.
- Add in the chopped almonds, walnuts
- Mix gently with a spatula until the flour is appropriately incorporated.
- Pour the mix into a 9-inch cake pan and bake at 170C for 30 – 40 minutes or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once cooled, dust the fruit cake with powdered sugar and enjoy with a cup of hot coffee.